Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Through distance & time I'll be waiting"

So here is my take on long distance relationships...
I have a guy friend who believes that there is no point to them at all because he believes that nothing good will come out of them. Obviously there are trust issues but he says if he is going to be dating someone he wants to spend all the time with them that he can and always be around them. It makes sense because that is the point of being in a relationship. My argument was though that if you REALLY like someone why would you settle for anyone else? You would make it work however you could and if that meant long distance then that is what you would have to do. He said he wouldn't want to spend all the money flying to see this person and wasting his time because what if he finds out he doesn't like this person, but you never know until you try. So I said you would rather settle for someone because it is convenient then actually work to be the person you really have feelings for?

I think long distance might even be healthier for a relationship, if and only if you can trust each other (which is easier said than done). I know a lot of couples who hang out every day and they have been together so long that them hanging out is now both of them on laptops or watching TV or someone taking a nap... not much excitement left when you see each other all the time. At least with a long distance relationship every time you see the person it is brand new. You plan things to do and you learn more about each other when you hang out. It is different and difficult but if that's what you have to do to be with the person you really care about then you do it. I feel like you long for the person more when you cant see them. Everyone wants what they cant have and if I cant have you everyday I am going to want it even more.

I guess I agree with the cliche "distance makes the heart grow fonder" :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with how you feel about Long distance relationships. lol at the people who sit on laptops together because well i'm one of those couples...and to know that him and i are gonna be a 35-40 min distance apart makes me happy because you are so right seeing that person after a little bit of time is the best feeling, nothing is better then getting butterflies when you see someone. Don't change your mindset about this because its the right way to feel he will come to his senses when he actually starts to miss this girl and realizes there is no other like her around him...hey and tell him he could rack up sky miles :)

    ReplyDelete